The Plateau des Glières
© Gilles Piel / Alpine pasture
Situated at an altitude of 1440 metres and about 30 km from Annecy, the Plateau des Glières is a Mecca for the Resistance. From January to March 1944, 500 men under the successive command of Lieutenant Tom Morel and then Captain Anjot hid to receive weapons for the maquis in Haute-Savoie.
It is also a site labelled as a Sensitive Natural Area (ENS) and classified as a Natura 2000 site: the preservation of animal and plant biodiversity, in connection with human activities, is reinforced.
A place with a rich history
- Historical discovery tour, punctuated by panels recalling the daily life of the Resistance fighters.
- National monument to the Resistance: a monumental sculpture created by the artist Emile Gilioli and inaugurated in 1973. It pays tribute to the action of the Glières maquis.
- Espace Mémoire du maquis: a temporary exhibition space and the starting point for events and guided tours.
© Gilles Piel / Haut lieu de Mémoire
A place of freedom
- An authentic and ideal site in all seasons, for young and old, without forgetting our friends, the dogs on a leash.
- A return to nature and rurality, with the mountain pastures and the herds.
- Numerous alpine restaurants offer local cuisine and refuges allow you to enjoy an overnight stay in peace and quiet
© Gilles Piel / Un territoire rural
Activities in sunny days
- Go hiking to the Chalet des Auges or the Croix de Sous Dine
- Discover the underground world on a caving trip
- Go climbing at the Rosière, the Ablon cliff, the Collet and the Commanderie
- Try your hand at cani-kart or cani-rando
© Gilles Piel / Family walk on the Plateau des Glières
- The Nordic area offers almost 30 km of cross-country skiing trails, both skating and classic (2 green, 1 blue, 2 red and 3 black).
- Sled dogs: the thrill of sliding through magnificent snowy landscapes, guided by a professional musher.
- Pedestrian and snowshoe routes: with nature as your companion, enjoy 17 km of marked routes.
- Two free toboggan runs are available for all ages.
© Gilles Piel / Country skiing in the Glières Nordic area